Pages

Sunday 27 May 2007

Running mad

My esteemed brother has set himself a challenge. He has decided to run a 10k race. I have both admiration for him and a suspicion that he's a nutter.

Now it's all very well to get into the old training routine and be going out for your run three times a week and all that. But even the most unlikely runners (yours truly) can find it does turn into a bit of an obsession. I speak from experience. I've got over my running obsession though, and have returned to levels of fitness that would require a time allowance of about 2.5 hours to see me complete 10k. Oh, and an A&E unit at the finish line to administer oxygen and rehydrate me and provide any other emergency care I'd almost certainly need!

You have been warned, esteemed brother, you might well get bitten by the running bug. I'd offer to come and train with you next month but I'll certainly slow you down. People can walk faster than I run.

6 comments:

Boatwoman said...

Hi Lis.
I agree your brother is a nutter, and I have not met im LOL. I reckon anyone who runs is mad. I always remember doing running at school sports day, they always put me in for the 100 metres and I always came last hahahaha, I think I learnt my lesson. My knees are shot so no good for running and that is my excuse hehehehe.
Actually I admire anyone who does it for charity, who has never done it before, it takes alot of courage.
So good luck to him... Remind him to put tape over his nipples hahahaha
Take care Jo

Anonymous said...

Definitely a nutter! Any running I did would be either a) away from religious fanatics or TV presenters, or b) in pursuit of chocolate or paella. And that is all.
Thanks for the plug by the way!

Anonymous said...

A nutter I may be, but I figured that 10K translates to about 6 miles, or in easier to understand terms a comfortable round trip to the pub. Of course on the day I'll probably not be stopping for a few pints until after I've got the running out of the way. Ta jo for the hint - is there somewhere I can get special lightweight aerodynamic tape I wonder?

Bro'.x.

Keith Lodge said...

Hi Bro.

I wish you so much luck. I do admire you for doing it, and the pub idea is definately a good one.
I would not use elastiplast tape, use something micropor, any surgical tap, or vaseline.
They say to Apply Vaseline to any areas where it is common to suffer chafing problems - under the arms, bra band, toes, etc. Be careful not to apply too much to the toes as this can make them slippery which could cause blisters. If you suffer from 'jogger's nipple', use plasters or surgical tape to prevent soreness and bleeding.

Let us know how you get on

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Good on your bro! I am certainly not a runner. Ever since I was forced to take part in cross country running at high school I've detested it. It makes my skin crawl just to think about it!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Good on your bro! I am certainly not a runner. Ever since I was forced to take part in cross country running at high school I've detested it. It makes my skin crawl just to think about it!